Feature Goal: Unify the management of cluster ingress with a common, open, expressive, and extensible API.
Why is this Important? Gateway API is the evolution of upstream Kubernetes Ingress APIs. The upstream project is part of Kubernetes, working under SIG-NETWORK. OpenShift is contributing to the development, building a leadership position, and preparing OpenShift to support Gateway API, with Istio as our supported implementation.
The plug-able nature of the implementation of Gateway API enables support for additional and optional 3rd-party Ingress technologies.
- Add support for Istio as a Gateway API implementation.
NE-1105Management by an operator (possibly cluster-ingress-operator, OSSM operator, or a new operator)
- Feature parity with OpenShift Router, where appropriate.
- Performance parity evaluation of Envoy and HAProxy.
- NE-1102 Add oc command line support for Gateway API objects
- NE-1103 Evaluate idling support for Gateway API
- Avoid conflict with partner solutions (such as F5).
- Provide a solution that partners could integrate with (reduce dependencies on Istio by assuming plugins)
Avoid conflict with integrations (such as GKE) for hybrid cloud use cases.
- NE-1106 Advanced routing capabilities currently unavailable in OCP.
- More powerful path-based routing.
- Header-based routing
Traffic mirroring Traffic splitting (single and multi cluster)
- Other features, based on time constraints
- Add Gateway API support with OSSM service mesh.
Add Gateway API support for serverless.
- NE-1110 Documentation
- Release technical enablement
- OCP CI integration
- Continued upstream development to mature Gateway API and Istio support for the same.
Integration with HAProxy?
- Gateway is more than Ingress 2.0, how do we align with other platform components such as serverless and service mesh to ensure we're providing a complete solution?
- Explain the resource model
- Explain roles and how they align to Gateway API resources
- Explain the extension points and provide extension point examples.
- Xref upstream docs.