- Add Gateway API via Istio Gateway implementation as
TechEnhanced Dev Preview in 4.13 (proposed)
Problem: ** As an administrator, I would like to securely expose cluster resources to remote clients and services while providing a self-service experience to application developers.
Enhanced Dev Preview: A feature is implemented as Enhanced Dev Preview so that developers can issue an update to the Dev Preview MVP and:
- can still change APIs that are clearly indicated as tech preview, without following a deprecating or backwards compatibility process.
- are not required to fix bugs customers uncover in your EDP feature.
- do not have to provide an upgrade path from a customer using your EDP feature to the GA version of your feature.
- must still support upgrading the cluster and your component, but it’s ok if the EDP feature doesn’t work after the upgrade.
- still need to provide docs (which should make it clear the feature is tech preview)
- still need to provide education to CEE about the feature
- must also follow Red Hat's support policy for dev preview
- Reduces the burden on Red Hat developers to maintain IngressController and Route custom resources
- Brings OpenShift ingress configuration more in line with standard Kubernetes APIs
- Demonstrates Red Hat’s leadership in the Kubernetes community.
- Gateway API and Istio Gateway are in an acceptable standing for
- Istio Gateway installation without sidecars enabled
- Decision completed on whether we use a single control plane (shared between OSSM and Network Edge functionality), or multiple control planes (separate CPs for OSSM and Network Edge functionality)
- * Decision completed on changes needed to accommodate HyperShift architecture - in OSSM and elsewhere
- Decision completed on whether a new operator is required, especially for upgrade and status reports
- Decision completed on whether Ingress->Gateway (or Route->Gateway) translation is needed
- Enhancement Proposals, Migration details,
Tech Enablement,and other input for QA and Docs
- API server integration, Installation, CI, E2E tests, Upgrade details, Telemetry
Dependencies (internal and external)
- OSSM release schedule aligned with OpenShift's cadence, or workaround designed
- CI - CI is running, tests are automated and merged.
- Release Enablement <link to Feature Enablement Presentation>
- DEV - Upstream code and tests merged: <link to meaningful PR or GitHub Issue>
- DEV - Upstream documentation merged: <link to meaningful PR or GitHub Issue>
- DEV - Downstream build attached to advisory: <link to errata>
- QE - Test plans in Polarion: <link or reference to Polarion>
- QE - Automated tests merged: <link or reference to automated tests>
- DOC - Downstream documentation merged: <link to meaningful PR>