As an Infrastructure Administrator, I want to deploy OpenShift on vSphere with supervisor (aka Masters) and worker nodes (from a MachineSet) across multiple vSphere data centers and multiple vSphere clusters using full stack automation (IPI) and user provided infrastructure (UPI).
Install OpenShift on vSphere using IPI / UPI in multiple vSphere data centers (regions) and multiple vSphere clusters in 1 vCenter, all in the same IPv4 subnet (in the same physical location).
- Kubernetes Region contains vSphere datacenter and (single) vCenter name
- Kubernetes Zone contains vSphere cluster, resource pool, datastore, network (port group)
Out of scope
- There are no support the conversion of a non-zonal configuration (i.e. an existing OpenShift installation without 1+ zones) to a zonal configuration (1+ zones), but zonal UPI installation by the Infrastructure Administrator is permitted.
Scenarios for consideration:
- OpenShift in vSphere across different zones to avoid single points of failure, whereby each node is in different ESX clusters within the same vSphere datacenter, but in different networks.
- OpenShift in vSphere across multiple vSphere datacenter, while ensuring workers and masters are spread across 2 different datacenter in different subnets. (RFE-845, RFE-459).
- Ensure vSphere IPI can successfully be deployed with ODF across the 3 zones (vSphere clusters) within the same vCenter [like we do with AWS, GCP & Azure].
- Ensure zonal configuration in vSphere using UPI is documented and tested.