The grand goal is to improve the usability of Kata from Openshift UI. This EPIC aims to cover only a subset that would help:
- Make it easy to differentiate between native cluster runtime (e.g., runC) and kata.
- Enable Kata as a runtime without modifying YAMLs.
To use a different runtime e.g., Kata, the "runtimeClassName" will be set to the desired low-level runtime. Also please see :
"RuntimeClassName refers to a RuntimeClass object in the node.k8s.io group, which should be used to run this pod. If no RuntimeClass resource matches the named class, the pod will not be run. If unset or empty, the "legacy" RuntimeClass will be used, which is an implicit class with an empty definition that uses the default runtime handler. More info: https://git.k8s.io/enhancements/keps/sig-node/runtime-class.md This is a beta feature as of Kubernetes v1.14.."
The value of the runtime class cannot be changed on the pod level, but it can be changed on the deployment level
- As a cluster-admin, I would like to be able to differentiate between a normal pod and a Katacontainer pod from the UI.
- As a developer, I would like to create katacontainers-based pods without dealing with YAML, i.e., from the UI.
- As a developer, I would like to switch my deployments to use Kata instead on runC (native).
- Kata runtime MUST be viewable when checking running workloads.
- A checkbox or a similar method to create Katacontainers from the UI MUST be provided.
- The above two requirements MUST be tested.