This story covers backporting Windows Server 2022 support on vSphere to the 4.8 and 4.8 branches. This is relevant as 20H2 support comes to an end in August 2022, which would leave WMCO 3.x and 4.x without a supported Windows version.
The WMCO side includes:
- backporting support for newer Powershell version
- WMCB submodule bump to pick up pause image changes
- changing the golden image used in vSphere CI
- docs changes
The last 2 bullet points will likely require a manual backport of this PR.
For release-4.8 and release-4.9 branches:
- Backport source code changes
- Windows Server 2022 golden image with Docker is used in vSphere CI
- Announce support through docs/support matrix