If two method annotated to use MP Metrics have same name. In case of Counters (example):
- They are reusable there is actually one MP metric and both method invocation are counted to a single metric.
- They are non-reusable:
- They are in the same deployment - ERROR is logged and metrics are not registerd
- They are in different deployments
- (X) MP Config mp.metrics.appName is used thus metrics are registered under configured_name;_app=the value thus they are registered under different name
- MP Config mp.metrics.appName is not used - ERROR is logged and metrics are not registerd
Now I'd like to talk about the (X) option. This is valid for two scenarios:
- Multiple deployments
- Deployment with sub-deployments.
In Multiple deployments I am able to to annotate two methods with non-reusable metric of the same name. I need to set MP Config mp.metrics.appName property. Then I can select the metric using a tag.
However per https://github.com/smallrye/smallrye-metrics/issues/216 I am not able to do that in deployment with sub-deployments scenario.
This is inconsistent behavior and it would be good to have it implemented.