Uploaded image for project: 'Tools (JBoss Tools)'
  1. Tools (JBoss Tools)
  2. JBIDE-26038

[Red Hat Central] Update to latest Subclipse & older SVNKit

    XMLWordPrintable

Details

    Description

      An error has been reported on the sme-jbds mail ling list:

      http://post-office.corp.redhat.com/archives/sme-jbds/2018-May/msg00004.html

      Hi,
      
      I have a customer who is having issues with Subversion in JBDS 11.3.
      
      They have installed Subclipse + SVNKit from RedHat Central and then create a new project, then add the project to SVN. They then update a dummy text file in the project.
      They then try to synchronize the project and after this all of the team options are greyed out.
      
      The only exception in the log is:
      
      !ENTRY org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.core 4 -6 2018-05-10 15:41:57.217
      !MESSAGE The SVN synchronization information for 'jClaretyBatchClientProject' has become corrupt or does not exist.
      
      !ENTRY org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.ui 4 -6 2018-05-10 15:41:57.217
      !MESSAGE Property Exception
      !STACK 0
      java.lang.NullPointerException
          at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.ui.properties.SVNPropertyPage.getStatus(SVNPropertyPage.java:290)
          at org.tigris.subversion.subclipse.ui.properties.SVNPropertyPage.createContents(SVNPropertyPage.java:81)
          at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferencePage.createControl(PreferencePage.java:241)
          at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog.createPageControl(PreferenceDialog.java:1426)
          at org.eclipse.jface.preference.PreferenceDialog$8.run(PreferenceDialog.java:1193)
          at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
          at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil.lambda$0(JFaceUtil.java:44)
         ...
      
      If they download the latest Subclipse version plus JavaHL and use this instead of SVNKit it works.
      
      They wanted to have JavaHL as an option in RedHat Central but I advised this wasn't going to happen as per [1].
      
      They raised the issue with Subclipse with this response:
      
      "There are no options in the product that are predicated on using one adapter or the other. There can be bugs or slight differences in behavior in one API implementation or the other, but both provide all of the API's we use. JavaHL is already the default implementation provided that it has been installed and is available.
      
      So obviously you had some kind of problem here, but your diagnosis of the causes was not correct. I do generally recommend you use JavaHL if possible, since that is the API implementation that comes from Subversion itself so is going to be most compatible with the SVN command line and other clients you might be using. That said, SVNKit generally offers very good compatibility as well.
      
      I am closing this just because I do not see that there is anything here that can be acted upon."
      
      Any ideas on why SVNKit might not be working here?
      
      Cheers
      Dave
      
      [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBIDE-14795
      
      SF case ref: https://gss--c.na7.visual.force.com/apex/Case_View?id=500A000000aqrrSIAQ
      Portal Case Ref: https://access.redhat.com/support/cases/#/case/02094880
      
      

      I tried and was able to reproduce.
      I then tried but installed from https://dl.bintray.com/subclipse/releases/subclipse/4.2.x instead of Red Hat Central and the error is gone

      So I compared both update sites (https://devstudio.redhat.com/11/stable/updates/ and https://dl.bintray.com/subclipse/releases/subclipse/4.2.x) and noticed that org.tmatesoft.svnkit is 1.8.15 in DevStudio and 1.8.12 in Subclipse

      Attachments

        Issue Links

          Activity

            People

              nickboldt Nick Boldt
              jmaury@redhat.com Jeff MAURY
              Votes:
              0 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              4 Start watching this issue

              Dates

                Created:
                Updated:
                Resolved: