As an administrator, I would like to deploy OpenShift 4 clusters to AWS C2S region
Customers were able to deploy to AWS C2S region in OCP 3.11, but our global configuration in OCP 4.1 doesn't support this.
Why is this important:
- Many of our public sector customers would like to move off 3.11 and on to 4.1, but missing support for AWS C2S region will prevent them from being able to migrate their environments..
Here are the relevant PRs from OCP 3.11. You can see that these endpoints are not part of the standard SDK (they use an entirely separate SDK). To support these regions the endpoints had to be configured explicitly.
- Kube: https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/pull/72245
- Autoscaler: https://github.com/kubernetes/autoscaler/pull/1717
- Installer: https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/pull/11277/
sjenning has put together a highly customized POC.
- Custom API endpoint support w/ CA
- Cloud / Machine API
- Image Registry
- Kube Controller Manager
- Cloud Credential Operator
- Require access to local/private/hidden AWS environment
Prioritized epics + deliverables (in scope / not in scope):
- Allow AWS C2S region to be specified for OpenShift cluster deployment
- Enable customers to use their own managed internal/cluster DNS solutions due to provider and operational restrictions
- Document deploying OpenShift to AWS C2S region
- Enable CI for the AWS C2S region
Related : https://jira.coreos.com/browse/CORS-1271
Estimate (XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL): L
Customers: North America Public Sector and Government Agencies